Linseed, Ground 250g
Linseed (also known as flaxseed) is one of these ingredients that we should all keep in the pantry. When you look at the nutritional makeup of this seed, it most definitely receives a gold medal. It is a naturally rich source of:
- Fibre (Insoluble and soluble forms): promotes bowel regularity, alleviates constipation and diarrhoea, and assists with cholesterol lowering
- Omega 3 Fatty Acids: replenish dry skin, reduce inflammation and assists in cholesterol lowering
- Lignan: a type of phytoestrogen beneficial for women’s hormonal balance
- Antioxidants: support the immune system and protect cells from damage
- Low Glycaemic Index (GI)*: assists in balancing blood sugar levels and lowering the GI content of any food it is added to.*GI: When our food is digested, we will experience a fluctuation in our blood sugar levels. If a food is low GI, the fluctuation will be very small, whereas a high GI food will cause a rapid rise in blood sugars.
With a tasty nutty flavour, ground linseed is perfect added to cereals, cooking and baking. Cooking will not destroy its nutrient properties.
- Add one tablespoon per serve to your hot or cold breakfast cereal
- Add a teaspoon to mayonnaise or mustard when making a sandwich
- Mix a tablespoon per serve into yoghurt or a smoothie
- Mix into meatloaf, meatballs, breadcrumb coatings or casseroles
- May be used as a substitute for eggs in muffins, pancakes and cookies e.g. 1 tablespoon ground linseed plus 3 tablespoons of water = 1 egg
- Add to biscuit, cake, muffins and bread mixes